Monday, February 9, 2009

My Hero

You hear people talk about people that they look up to in their lives, and how much they have touched their lives in ways that no one else ever could, and you think about people who have touched your life. I would like to write about one of my hero's I have in my life. Probably one of the best ones of them all, My Grandpa.
I grew up blessed and lucky to be able to just be right down the street from my grandpa, so I got to spend a lot of time with him when I was little. In fact, getting to go to Grandpa's, was like a treat. He always had something cool for us to play with, and he always let us run a muck through his house all the while, just laughing at us. Him and my Grandmother taught me how to play hide and seek. I remember playing hide and seek and he would help me find places to hide, and it would usualy be up in his cubbord on the wall in the bedroom. I remember the smell of that cobbord, it smelled like old blankets.
as I became older, I began to notice the little things that my Grandpa would do for others. He's always been one who is willing to help anyone out, neighbors, family, complete strangers. He never complained and he never did a job half way. When he said he would do a job, he did it to the best of his ability, and you would be impressed with the work he did.
Even up untill a few years ago, Grandpa would get on the tractor and go and till peoples yards for them. He'd grow a huge garden in his back yard and share it with family and friends, or people in need that were in the area.
He will sit and tell you war stories all day long, and he will tell you how lucky he was to be on a ship and have a nice bed to sleep in and food in his mouth, instead of one of the men in the trenches sleeping in the water and dirt.
I have read his autobiography that he gave to us a while back numerous times, even in there, you can tell he is a verry good man. He has the biggest heart, that is so full of love.
One thing he has always told us is to never wish anything bad upon anyone, People have life hard enough, you should never with anything bad upon anyone. no matter what.
Now, My Grandpa has been a great Grandfather to me and my brothers, he's been more than you could ever ask him to be. he's always made sure we have what we need. he's purchased beds for us, got us play toys like 4 wheelers, and many of other things. however, he's never just given us something because we asked for it. he will make sure he feels like it is something that we need.
He's an amaizing man, he and my Grandmother adopted 3 boys cause they could not have children, and he has taken them and loved them as if they were his blood, Even if some of them will not repay him with the same love. He did not have to take us kids in and treat us the way he has, I know of lots of Grandparents who don't do half of what he has done for us, He is an awesome man.
He's always been there to talk to, you can tell him things that you can't tell others. He keeps secrets very well. He does not push you to become someone that you are not, but he does support you in what ever you do. He has always been there for me, and I hope that I can be there for him when ever he needs me too.
I love my Grandpa with all my heart.
Thanks Grandpa!

1 comment:

Monica said...

I love reading about your family! Your Grandpa sounds like an amazing man :)